Saturday, December 8, 2012

L'Orto Botanico di Padova

Continuing my search for plant life in and around Venice, I was told about L'Orto Botanico di Padova, and knew that this was a place that I needed to see.




The garden is located in the city of Padova, a ten minute train ride from Venice, and is a part of the University of Padova.  One of the oldest existing medicinal and botanical gardens, the Orto Botanico is quite different from any other garden that I have seen, and is by far the oldest.  I was interested to see that this garden appeared to be set up more for education, study, and use, rather than for visual beauty.  Though within this structure a natural beauty was present.  Each plant was carefully separated and labeled, with the Fennel occupying it's own little plot of land next to a Chinese Lantern.




I could have spent hours inspecting every single plant.  I visited the garden a bit late in the season, but there was still plenty to see.  Like the little guy below!






 


When I first arrived in Padova, a strong fragrance made it's way down the narrow streets from the balconies high above.  It was a smell that resembled peaches, perfume, and flowers.  When I arrived at the garden, the fragrance was stronger than ever, and just as I was about to leave, I was able to locate the source.  Olea Fragrans.....a relative of the olive!






No comments:

Post a Comment