Saturday, December 29, 2012

Let it Snow


 As the snow falls, covering everything in a blanket of white, I often feel a certain restlessness and sense of anticipation.  I think about going outside to work in my garden, and gaze out of the window at a place that looks foreign and unfamiliar.  There is nothing to do now.  The garden is asleep, lying dormant beneath the frozen soil.

But as I look, I realize that the snow has a way of bringing out the quiet beauty of the sleeping garden, transforming it into something magical.  It is full of a different kind of life, as a variety of shapes, colors, and textures appear that are normally hidden behind foliage and overshadowed by the flashy colors and intoxicating aromas of spring and summer flowers.  It is a time to observe the structure, the bones of the garden.  The bright white of the snow creates a pure backdrop for such beautiful forms, enhancing what would otherwise go unnoticed. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment