Thursday, May 2, 2013

Greenwood Gardens: A Journey into Wonderland

This past Sunday marked the public opening of Greenwood Gardens, a secret, historic, garden oasis in the suburban town of Short Hills, New Jersey.  I first found out about this event last weekend, when a family member discovered an article in the NY Times and insisted that I go.


Greenwood Gardens has had a long history, and has undergone many transformations over the years.  It houses an eclectic mix of Italian, French, Asian, Arts and Crafts, and Modern 1950's, garden styles, among many others.  It references a different period of time and garden design, truly allowing us to enter the space and become immersed in the atmosphere.  Until recently, it has been closed to the public while historians and gardeners work to restore the grounds.  There are elements of decay, and overgrowth that remain, allowing us to be aware that time is present here.  Whatever time that may be....


Since it was opening day on Sunday, admission was free and open to the public.  I knew that it would be crowded and expected to have some trouble parking.  When I got there, I discovered that they had arranged for shuttle buses to transport visitors from the parking lots into the garden.  

As the black iron gate opened, I had a strange feeling that I was about to enter a different world.  Suburban New Jersey is a place that I am very familiar with, but upon entering the property, I was transported to a different time forgetting about the world that I had left behind.  Rows of trees lined the long drive up to the house and at their bases, small white flowers looked like piles of snow in the green grass.  

The trees appeared to be parting for us as we approached.


When I got to the house which is the entrance to the garden, I really didn't know what to expect.  I entered the courtyard and took a look at the expansive view, of mountains, blooming and budding trees, and the various tiers of the garden.  The smell of lilacs blooming filled the air with an intensity that stayed with me even after I left. 






As I walked along the moss covered cobblestone walkways, and stairs, I was greeted around every corner by funny little stone chess piece characters.  Kings, queens, gnomes, horses, lining walls, standing proudly on stair ledges, each with their own degree of moss and vines covering them.  It seemed as if I had walked right into a fairy tale.  There were colorful tiles, a tea house, and a summer house, stone lions of every kind hidden in corners, a greyhound guarding an old grotto, and two proud Pegasus statues standing where an old pool used to be.  










Inside of the vaulted tea house was a combination of colorful seashell tiles, faces of what looked like art nouveau goddesses, moss covered stone, brick, and tile.  It was reminiscent of a shrine in a chapel, intended for special ceremonies.  Walking up the stairs to the second tier, I encountered mythical creatures in the form of green bronzed gargoyles that I swear were mocking me as I passed by.








One of the last things that I discovered as I wandered around the grounds, was an old overgrown circular pool.  Though the garden is still in the process of being restored, there was something beautiful about seeing it in a state like this.  It seemed as if I had traveled back in time, and had my own private view of this secret garden.  I am eager, however, to see it returned to it's original, functioning state.


Finally, I made my way back up and to the front of the property to explore the cottages, adorned with the same colorful tiles that are found throughout the gardens.





And with a sigh, I boarded the bus, to exit this fantastical world and return to reality, back to my car, in a school parking lot, in suburban New Jersey.

But I will be back...for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment