Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Festival of Lilacs, May 2013

This year lilacs have captured my attention.  I have always had an appreciation for them, but never really acknowledged the subtle differences in the varieties.  From color, to fragrance, and bloom time, I have become enamored with this beautiful springtime plant.





My interests began early this spring when I discovered that my 8 year old lilac was about to bloom for the first time.  I had taken a cutting from an older, and more established shrub, and tended to this 8 inch little plant, until it grew too large for it's pot.  Not sure if I should plant it in the ground, I kept it in a large pot in my yard.  It always looked very healthy but never bloomed...until this year.

This sparked an interest in me.  Why had I never purchased a lilac from a nursery?  It was as if I was stubbornly waiting for my plant to mature into the plant that I knew it could be.  The history of this cutting was what was important to me, and not so much the acquiring of a flowering shrub for my yard.




























So, with my interest piqued I decided to visit Willowwood Arboretum in Chester, New Jersey.  Willowwood is one of my favorite arboretums in the area, but I had never been there at the peak of lilac time.  They have a grassy lilac walk on the grounds, and have a lilac party annually, in celebration of this magnificent collection.

The first time that I visited this year, I was a bit early but got to see the flower buds about to burst open.  It had been a strange spring, with cold air and hot air battling for dominance.  It was early May.







The second time I visited, I discovered that the lilacs had opened a bit more, but seemed to have alternating bloom times, which offered an extended time period of interest.  It was a week later, and now a strong floral fragrance filled the air.  Some of the flowers smelled sugary like vanilla, while others were more potent, and flowery.  This combination of smells sent me back to the springtime of my childhood as I walked along the grassy paths, taking note of the different varieties, colors, and textures. 








 



When I unexpectedly went back to Willowwood for a third time this past week, I didn't really expect to see any lilacs still in bloom.  I was surprised to find different varieties now at the height of their bloom, and tree lilacs, which I hadn't even noticed before, still waiting patiently to open.  It was as if I was seeing everything differently each time I visited.




My lilac adventures this season were a lesson in patience, time, and subtle observation.  I learned about the complexities of these wonderful plants, beyond the fragrant purple flowers that we often see along the roadside.  

After my second visit, I went to the nursery and bought a Miss Kim lilac shrub and gave it a new home in my yard.    


No comments:

Post a Comment