Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rialto Mercato and Pescharia

The Rialto Market is one of the most colorful, and inspiring spots in Venice.  Located on the other side of the canal, just over the Rialto Bridge, it is filled with fresh produce, a wonderful array of fruits and vegetables, and of course.....fish!  The produce market is open every day except for Sunday, and the fish market is open everyday except for Sundays and Mondays.  It is a great place to see what is in season, and to get an idea of the countless varieties of fish that are available in Venice.  I was grateful that I had a kitchen to go back to so that I could take advantage of all the wonderful things that I saw.  However, even without a kitchen, there were countless fresh goodies to choose from. Two of my all time favorites were in season during the month of September, fiori di zucca and fondi di carciofi, (zuccini flowers and artichoke hearts).  I just couldn't get enough of these delicious treats.

 











 Here are some of the things that I got.


 Roman Broccoil, Fresh Figs, and Sweet Cherry Tomatoes. 


All of the ingredients were so full of flavor!  

I made a bunch of yummy dishes with my items including roasted roman broccoli with shaved parmigiano reggiano, and this salad with arugula, figs, cherry tomatoes, shaved parmigiano, salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment