Saturday, October 20, 2012

Apple Picking Time!

A break from Venice for now....it's fall, and time for pumpkins and apple picking!

 

Picking out the perfect pumpkin is an art form for sure.
 

 Stayman Winesap has great flavor and a balance of sweetness and crisp acidity.  I like to eat these fresh and use them in apple pies.



The perfect Granny Smith....just out of reach.
 

I found the perfect one!


After a day of apple picking, the Granny Smiths and Stayman Winesaps were piling up.  One of the things that I love to do when I find myself with too many apples...I make apple butter! 

 


I usually start by peeling and cutting up my apples into chunks.  I saute them in butter in a deep pot, until they begin to get soft, and then add spices.  Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, Brown Sugar, and Pumpkin Pie Spice.  I also add 2 cinnamon sticks for a more intense flavor.





I cook the apples on low until apples begin to break down, and then I add water.  I then cover the apples and simmer for 5-6 hours, making sure that they don't burn, stirring occasionally and adding water when necessary.  I also add sugar and honey to taste.  After testing the flavor, I add more cinnamon, and sugar if necessary. 



Once the mixture has cooked, I use my immersion blender to smooth out the apple butter, and then spoon it into jars.



This apple butter is great on toast with butter, on pop overs, or on muffins and will keep in the refrigerator for months.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment