Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pizza Sunday! Roasted Veggie and Prosciutto Bacon Pizza

Turn those veggies that you saved from frost, into something delicious and yummy!

This recipe came about as a result of all of the veggies that I rescued about a week ago from the first freeze of the season.  I have red, yellow, green and purple tomatoes residing on my counter, and beans, cucumbers, mini eggplants and peppers in my fridge.  They are on the small side, and I wasn't sure what I would do with them until last night, when I decided to put some of them to good use.  Make your own pizza night!

I had an idea of making a caramelized vegetable pizza with crispy prosciutto, and roasted garlic.  First, I sliced fairy tale eggplants, and spread them on a baking sheet with a few cloves of garlic, and some whole tomatoes.  I drizzled them with olive oil, and added a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, thyme, salt, and pepper and roasted them in the oven until they were golden brown.



Once these were brown, I started to assemble my pizza.  I stretched out fresh dough on an oiled pizza pan, and sprinkled it with olive oil, chopped garlic, and thyme.  I added a layer of crushed tomato, added salt, pepper and freshly grated parmesean.  I had baked a few pieces of prosciutto di parma earlier in the day to make an italian style prosciutto bacon...which was delicious.  I decided that these smokey, crunchy bits would be great with the roasted veggies on the pizza.  When crisped like bacon, they have a  flavor that tastes smokier than regular prosciutto.

I tore some fresh basil leaves, and added the roasted veggies in addition to sliced marinated roman artichokes.  I covered them with another layer of fresh parmesean.




Next, I sliced some fresh mozzerella and layered it on top of the other ingredients.  Finally, I finished the pizza with olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper, and baked at 450 degrees until golden brown. 



I have found that if I bake the pizza on the lower rack for the first few minutes, the crust becomes nice and crisp, I then transfer the pizza to the top rack for the final few minutes of baking to get the cheese brown and bubbly.

Served along with the pizza, I decided to use a few other harvested garden ingredients to assemble a fresh, colorful salad.



Mixed greens, cucumber, yellow brandywine tomatoes, fennel fronds, chives, and purple carrots sprinkled with gray salt, and a fresh vinaigrette make this the perfect compliment to the smokey and rich veggie prosciutto pizza.

Enjoy.  Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment