Monday, October 7, 2013

Maine-to-New Jersey: Apple Season


It was a gorgeous fall weekend in Maine, the weather was warm and the leaves were just beginning to burst into their rainbow of florescent colors.  Apple orchards lined the winding country roads near Bridgton, Maine, where Cortland, McIntosh, Macoun, and Golden Delicious trees grew up and down rolling the hills, surrounded by the distant mountains and clear blue northern sky.

I discovered two orchards where I spent my time wandering up and down the rows collecting an abundance of apples. 

Pulling up to the first orchard, I was greeted by cheery signs and spooky Halloween decorations.  On the front porch of the white farmhouse, I picked up a bag and headed out in search of my fall favorite, Macouns!









(This was my favorite sign)


Day two of my fall apple picking adventures led me to Five Fields Farm: Gyger Orchards in Bridgton, Maine.


  

 The colors of the leaves were so vibrant as a quilt of puffy white clouds blanketed the sky.  As I picked more and more apples, filling my bag, I thought about making my yearly batch of apple butter and other yummy apple recipes once I returned to New Jersey.





After using most of the apples for my apple butter, I decided to experiment with a new sandwich recipe.  This Prosciutto, Apple, and Provolone Panini with Tarragon and Truffle Honey is great for lunch or dinner, served with a side salad.  I had mine with fresh tomato and basil salad from my garden.



First I layered prosciutto di parma on crusty italian bread with sliced provolone, and a peeled apple.  I added a drizzle of truffle honey and balsamic vinegar to add a touch of sweet spice to each side of the bread, and sprinkled crystals of gray salt and fresh tarragon picked from the garden.  Next, I grilled the sandwich on my panini press with a touch of olive oil until it was golden brown and the cheese had melted.

This sandwich is the perfect balance of salty, smoky and sweet, and a great little reminder of my fall trip up north.

No comments:

Post a Comment